University of Florida Veterinary Diagnostic Labs
2015 SW 16th Ave., Room VS-50
Gainesville, FL 32608
To find out more about our services, contact our Central Labs Administration/Receiving Department Monday – Friday 8am-5pm at 352-294-4726, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FedEx Shipping Billable Stamp:
We offer a $21.25 FedEx Priority Overnight shipping option for samples weighing 5 pounds or less. Please contact us and we will send you a group of stamps by USPS delivery. You will be billed for the $21.25 after the samples are received and have been accessioned into our system. **The FedEx Billable Stamp is ONLY for use by Veterinary Hospital Diagnostic Laboratory clients and not for use to Zoo Medicine Infectious Disease Testing Group.
Use of shipping options other than the FedEx Priority Overnight incur additional fees, and you will be billed accordingly.
Weight Restrictions with use of FedEx Billable Stamp is up to, or less than 5 lbs. Overweight Packages: Charges for packages received over the weight limit will be billed accordingly.
General Supplies Needed to Ship Specimens:
- Our most current diagnostic lab submission form
- Leak-proof container non-permeable to the contents
- Absorbent material sufficient to soak up liquid contents in case of leakage
- Cold Packs (no ice cubes)
- Sealed inner container
- Sealed plastic bag containing submission forms/documents; placed outside the inner container.
- Outer container such as a Styrofoam-lined box, cardboard box, etc.
- Shipping guidelines and requirements for shipment of biological materials may be provided by the shipping service company (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.)
- Weekend Delivery/Sample Integrity: Please note that weekend & holiday deliveries are not possible due to unavailability of receiving personnel. Packages should be shipped so that they arrive no later than 4:00pm Mon-Fri. Samples should be submitted in the most timely manner possible to prevent deterioration and ensure diagnostic integrity.
- Sample Identification: Label all samples, including the animal’s name or identifying number, owner’s full name and sample source & sample type.
- Submission Forms/Documents: Include completed submission forms inside of a separate Ziploc-type bag to prevent damage from fluid-containing sample leaks. Incomplete submission forms may cause a delay in accessioning of the samples. Please use the submission forms found on this website http://vetmed-labs.sites.medinfo.ufl.edu/submission-forms/
- Fluid-containing Samples: Use a leak-proof container and place sample inside a sealable specimen bag (Ziploc) with absorbent material such as paper towels.
- Ambient Samples: No ice packs necessary for shipping.
- Refrigerated Samples: Do not ship samples with ice cubes as they will melt and leak out. Use commercial grade frozen ice packs. We recommend the use of a Styrofoam cooler box inside a cardboard box.
- Frozen Samples: Ship on dry ice or if allowable, ship on sufficient amount of ice packs to keep sample viable. No Ice Cubes.
- When shipping frozen samples on Dry Ice and non-frozen samples such as formalin-fixed samples together, package samples separately so non-frozen/fixed samples are kept safe from freezing. Suggestion: Use of a 2nd insulated container within primary shipping box or wrap non-frozen samples with insulating-like material.
- Protection: To prevent breakage, pad the samples with bubble wrap, newspaper or some similar type of packing material.
You are required to contact our Central Labs Administration/Receiving Department for instructions on submitting deceased animals to our services. Call 352-294-4726 or email email@example.com
- May only be sent for histopathology, and only after formalin fixation.
- Please refer to our USDA permit (PDF): https://labs.vetmed.ufl.edu/files/2018/02/136019.pdf for more information regarding sample processing prior to shipping.
- Samples must be sectioned to less than 1cm thick and immersed in 10% neutral-buffered formalin for a minimum of 24 hours, with one change in formalin prior to shipping.
- A copy of the import permit must be included with the shipment.
- Samples from bats, non-human primates, or endangered/CITES-listed animals may NOT be sent via this permit.