Parasitology & Fecal Tests
|Baermann Technique for Lungworms||>5 g feces||Ice pack|
|Cryptosporidium (acid fast stain)||0.5 g feces||Ice pack|
|Ectoparasite exam||Hair or feathers||Ambient|
|Fecal Occult Blood||0.5 g feces||Ice pack|
|Fecal Fat (digested/undigested)||0.5 g feces||Ice pack|
|Fecal Flotation||>1 g feces||Ice pack|
|Fecal Starch||0.5 g feces||Ice pack|
|McMaster’s Quantification # Eggs/Oocysts per g feces||>2 g feces||Ice pack|
|Trichomonad culture||0.5 g fresh feces in TYM medium
(if medium needed call 352-294-4726)
Handling and shipping advice for parasitology samples
- Successful detection of parasites in feces is dependent on sample volume:
—Fecal Flotation and stains: ≥ 1 gram
—Baermann Technique for Detection of Lungworm Larvae: ≥ 5 grams
—McMaster’s Quantification of eggs and oocysts: ≥ 2 grams
—Sedimentation for Flukes and Fasciola hepatica: ≥3 grams
—Trichomonad Culture and/or PCR: For bovine samples submit prepucial wash, vaginal/cervical mucous or uterine flush in transport media. For cats or dogs submit 1 gram fresh feces in transport media. Do not refrigerate the sample or allow it to dry. On especially hot days include ice pak but protect the sample with bubble wrap or newspaper so that there is no direct contact with the ice. Feces may be submitted without transport media if the sample is > 1 gram, immediately placed in leak proof container, shipped overnight/personally delivered and not refrigerated or in direct contact with ice pak.
- For identification of a parasite submit the isolated specimen in 70% ethanol. If that is not available, submit it in water. Formalin is not recommended.
- If you wish to detect motile protozoa, we recommend a Trichrome Stain or, if you are looking for trichomonads specifically, submit a fresh sample in culture medium as described above.
- Include a completed microbiology, parasitology & serology submission form with billing information, patient information, sample source(s), pertinent history and/or provisional diagnosis, and desired test(s).
- The required sample type and shipping method for each test are listed above.