|Aerobic culture and susceptibility||Fluid, tissue, or culturette||Ice pack|
|Anaerobic culture (no susceptibility, sent out for additional testing upon request)||Fluid or tissue in anaerobic transport system||Ice pack|
|Bacterial Identification by 16s PCR||Sterile site or bacterial isolate||Ice pack|
|Blood Culture||Blood culture bottle system||Ambient|
|Clostridium difficile toxin A/B ELISA||Fresh feces||Ice pack|
|Clostridium perfringens culture||0.5 g feces or swab||Ice pack|
|Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin ELISA||Fresh feces||Ice pack|
|Dermatophyte culture||Hair, skin scraping, or culture||Ambient|
|E. coli O157:H7||0.5 g feces or swab||Ice pack|
|Fungal culture||Fluid, tissue (preferred over culturette)||Ice pack|
|Fungal Susceptibility Panel||Added to culture order||—|
|Gram Stain||Fluid, tissue, smear||Ice pack|
|Mycobacterium culture||Fluid, tissue (preferred over culturette)||Ice pack|
|Mycobacterium/ Aerobic Actinomycete Susceptibility Panel||Added to culture order||—|
|Mycoplasma culture (no susceptibility)
Reptile testing available
|Fluid or swab in Mycoplasma transport medium
(if medium needed call 352-294-4726)
|Penicillin Binding Protein 2 Agglutination||Added to culture order||—|
|Pythium culture (no susceptibility)||Canine: lesion tissue
Equine: kunker material
|Rotavirus antigen ELISA||0.5 g feces||Ice pack|
|Salmonella culture (no susceptibility)||1 g feces||Ice pack|
|Salmonella susceptibility and serogroup||Add to culture or provide isolate||Ambient|
|Shigella culture||0.5 g feces/swab||Ice pack|
|Yersinia culture||0.5 g feces/swab||Ice pack|
Handling and shipping advice for microbiology samples
- To reduce bacterial overgrowth, send most samples overnight with an ice pack (exception: blood culture bottles and cultures for trichmonads).
- Tissue or liquid in a sterile, leak-proof container enhances recovery of microorganisms.
- Culturettes are acceptable, but tissue or fluid is preferred. Please submit one culturette per culture request if possible (example, 3 swabs if aerobic, anaerobic, and fungal are requested).
- Tissue is highly recommended for successful recovery of fungus, mycobacterium, or pythium.
- Anaerobic culture samples need to be submitted using an anaerobic transport system (Amies Gel or anaerobic vial/bag)
- Blood cultures need to be submitted in blood culture bottles and kept at room temperature.
- Include a completed a microbiology, parasitology & serology submission form with billing information, patient information, sample source(s), pertinent history and/or provisional diagnosis, and desired test(s).
- The required sample type and shipping method for each test are listed above.