The Anatomic Pathology Service provides diagnostic services in the areas of necropsy and surgical pathology of domestic and exotic animals. Additional specialty services are offered by dermatopathology.
- Dr. Michael J. Dark, Service Chief, 352-294-4138
- Melissa Brown, Surgical Pathology and Histology Lab Manager, 352-294-4530
- Patrick Knisley, Necropsy and Disposal Manager, 352-294-4528
Surgical Pathology, Dermatopathology, Histology & Necropsy Submissions
|Biopsy 1 tissue||Tissue in 10% formalin||Ambient|
|Biopsy additional tissues||Added to biopsy request||Ambient|
|Dermatopathology biopsy 1-2 tissues||Tissue in 10% formalin
Photographs of clinical lesions are welcome
|Dermatopathology additional tissue||Added to dermatopathology request||Ambient|
|Dermatopathology second opinion||Slide of tissue||Ambient|
|Necropsy||Please call central receiving at 352-294-4726 for info
After-hours emergency service, call 352-265-0111
Handling and shipping advice for biopsy samples
- Tissue samples should be completely submerged in 10% formalin.
- Tissues should be placed in a sufficiently large container so that the sample is not cramped or folded.
- Large pieces of tissue may be sectioned to ensure adequate formalin-fixing.
- Very small pieces of tissue should be placed in a plastic tissue cassette or wrapped in a small piece of gauze.
- An ice pack is not required.
- Include a completed submission form with billing information, patient information, sample source(s), pertinent history and/or provisional diagnosis, and desired test(s).
—Use a surgical pathology submission form for most biopsies.
—Use a dermatopathology submission form for dermatopathology biopsies.
- The required sample type and shipping method for each test is listed above.